NEWS SCAN: More cheese-related listeriosis, Salmonella in Dutch salmon, DR Congo Ebola update

Oct 26, 2012

Two more cases reported in ricotta-linked Listeria outbreak
The case count in a multistate outbreak of Listeria monocytogenes infections linked to imported Italian cheese has increased to 22—2 more than reported on Oct 12—but the death toll remains at 4, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said in an update today. Massachusetts became the 13th state to report a case. Twenty of the 22 patients reported being hospitalized, 1 more than cited previously. Dates when clinical specimens were collected from patients ranged from Mar 28 to Oct 6. As reported previously, nine of the cases were related to a pregnancy, and one stillbirth has been reported in the outbreak. The CDC says listeriosis contributed to at least two of the four deaths cited in the outbreak. In September the outbreak caused Forever Cheese Inc. of Long Island city, N.Y., to recall all of its Frescolina Marte brand ricotta salata cheese.
Oct 26 CDC update

Report: Almost two thirds of Dutch patients in Salmonella outbreak are female
Patients sickened by Salmonella Thompson linked to smoked salmon in the Netherlands have a median age of 44 years, 63% are female, and 36% have been hospitalized, according to a summary report of 866 cases yesterday in Eurosurveillance. Illness-onset dates range from Jun 20 to Oct 6, and during the most recent week listed, which ended Oct 19, more than 300 new cases were reported. The authors said a matched case-control study suggested smoked salmon as the culprit, and the outbreak strain was confirmed in four of nine batches tested. The report did not name the salmon producer, but previous media reports have noted that Foppen, headquartered in Harderwijk, traced the contamination to a production line in a company facility in Greece. The company recalled all its smoked salmon products about a month ago.
Oct 25 Eurosurveillance report

DR Congo Ebola total climbs to 52
Three more infections and one more death have been reported in an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the WHO said today. The new reports push the total number of cases to 52, of which 35 are lab confirmed and 17 are probable. The latest fatality pushes the number of deaths to 25—12 lab confirmed and 13 probable. The outbreak was first reported in August and is still centered in two health districts in Orientale province. The WHO said surveillance activities and healthcare worker training are being strengthened in the affected areas, and a field laboratory has been set up by the Public Health Agency of Canada. Response activities also include outreach to schools and church groups to provide information about protection against the Ebola virus and to hear concerns of local populations.
Oct 26 WHO update

Gift Opportunity

Ebola and Emerging Infectious Disease Fund

Your support is critical to ensure CIDRAP's capacity to respond. Your gift in any amount is deeply appreciated.

Newsletter Sign-up

Get news & practices.

Sign up now»

OUR UNDERWRITERS

Unrestricted financial support provided by

Bentson Foundation 3M United Health Foundation Gilead Become an underwriter»