One Guinea prefecture still seeing new Ebola cases
Only one prefecture in Guinea—Gueckedou—has reported continued community transmission and deaths in the Ebola virus disease (EVD) outbreak there as of May 18, says an update from the World Health Organization (WHO) Regional Office for Africa.
Gueckedou is the prefecture that has seen the most clinical cases (168, with 123 deaths) during the outbreak, which began earlier this spring. The cumulative total for clinical cases stands at 253, with 176 deaths. Confirmed cases number 144 with 97 deaths—6 and 5 more, respectively, than reported in the last WHO update May 12.
The update notes that the number of cases is subject to change because of reclassification, retrospective investigation, consolidation of cases and lab data, enhanced surveillance, and contact tracing.
Liberia and Sierra Leone reported no new EVD cases. In Liberia, which has not seen a case since Apr 9, the EVD outbreak may be declared over tomorrow (May 22), says the WHO.
May 21 WHO Ebola update
Pasteur lab shuttered in wake of missing SARS virus vials
French health officials have temporarily shuttered the Pasteur Institute lab in Paris after more than 2,000 test tubes containing parts of SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) coronaviruses turned up missing in January, the Associated Press (AP) reported yesterday.
After the samples were found to be missing, the lab asked France's medical safety agency to carry out inspections. A team couldn't find the tubes and identified problems with the lab's material-tracking methods. The suspension order calls on the Pasteur Institute to inventory all of its samples.
In April, the Pasteur Institute reported the loss of 2,349 tubes that contained fragments of the SARS virus, which it said does not pose an infection risk. Lab officials said the loss was an "unacceptable mistake" and that the vials may have been moved from one freezer to another in March 2013 and might have been destroyed by a staffer who forgot to document the step.
May 20 AP story
Apr 15 CIDRAP News item "Pasteur Institute loses 2,300 vials containing pieces of SARS virus"
US, Canada, Mexico agree to share health emergency communications
The US, Canadian, and Mexican governments formally agreed yesterday that during health emergencies they will share communications plans and statements with one another before releasing them to the public.
The three countries signed a declaration of intent on the subject at the 67th World Health Assembly in Geneva, according to an announcement from the Canadian government.
"Infectious diseases are not limited by countries' borders, and neither are the ways through which we receive the news," Canadian Minister of Health Rona Ambrose stated in the announcement. "This Declaration will help our countries work together on the essential task of communicating more effectively on public health issues, which will protect the health of all of our citizens."
The declaration of intent calls on the three countries to "share public communications plans, statements and other communications products related to health emergencies with each other prior to their public release." In addition, the agreement calls for conducting annual joint communications exercises to improve coordination.
The agreement aligns with the requirements of the International Health Regulations, which call for neighboring countries to cooperate on shared public health issues, the Canadian statement said. In addition, it supports the "underlying principles of the 2012 North American Plan for Animal and Pandemic Influenza (NAPAPI)."
Building on the experiences of the H1N1 influenza pandemic, the NAPAPI outlines how the three countries intend to strengthen and coordinate their emergency response capacities, including public communications, in preparation for a pandemic virus arising in or spreading to North America, the statement said.
May 20 Canadian government statement