US measles outbreak cases rise; more measles in Ontario
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported 4 new US measles cases related to Disney theme park visits, bringing the outbreak total to 125, according to a Feb 13 update in Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR).
As of Feb 11, 125 cases of measles with symptom onset between Dec 28 and Feb 8 have been reported as part of the outbreak, 110 of which occurred in California residents. Out of the California cases, 39 people (35%) had visited a Disney theme park from Dec 17 to 20, and 34 people (31%) were exposed to confirmed case-patients.
Fifteen cases from seven other states are also linked to the outbreak. Nearly half (45%) of all case-patients were unvaccinated, 43% did not know their vaccination status, and 10% of cases occurred in infants too young to be vaccinated.
The CDC said that 24 million people visit Disney theme parks in California each year. Since 2011 and prior to the current outbreak, six measles cases related to theme park visits were reported to the California Department of Public Health (CDPH).
Feb 13 MMWR report
In related news, Ontario reported three measles cases over the weekend, bringing the total measles cases in the province to 11, according to a Feb 14 Canadian Press (CP) story.
The new Ontario case-patients are a 14-year-old girl from the Niagara region and two adults in Toronto. The girl had not been vaccinated against measles, and her case was linked to another unvaccinated case-patient, providing evidence of transmission in the region, the CP said. The Niagara case is not connected to the US outbreak or to the 10 measles cases reported in Quebec last week.
One of the Toronto adults had no history of recent travel, and travel history for the second adult patient is unknown. The vaccination status of both individuals is not known. None of the previous Ontario case-patients had traveled recently.
Manitoba also reported one measles case last week in an infant who had traveled to Canada from India.
Feb 14 CP story
Chikungunya cases rise by more than 5,000
The Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) reported 5,397 new cases of chikungunya in the Caribbean and Americas on Feb 13, bringing the outbreak total to 1,206,669.
The new total includes 1,176,216 suspected and 27,136 confirmed locally acquired cases and 3,317 imported cases.
French Guiana reported the largest increase, with 2,220 new cases, bringing its outbreak total to 18,499. French Guiana also reported its first death, and the outbreak fatality total now stands at 182.
El Salvador reported 1,119 new cases, bringing its outbreak total to 138,774. Colombia, which has seen dramatic case increases over recent months, reported no new cases.
Bolivia reported its first 13 locally acquired cases of chikungunya, all confirmed.
Feb 13 PAHO update