WHO updates Zika strategy, needs $122 million in response funding
The World Health Organization (WHO) today announced the rollout of an updated strategy to fight Zika virus, covering response steps over the next 18 months. It said it needs $121.9 million to carry out the strategy.
In a statement, the agency said the revised 48-page plan puts a greater emphasis on preventing and managing Zika complications and expanding the capacity of health systems to address them. Other key parts of the strategy include integrated vector management, sexual and reproductive health counseling, and health education based on each country's legal and societal context.
According to the strategy report, the WHO hasn't had the resources needed to support the response so far. For example, it and the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) needed $25 million to fund the emergency response, but it has received only $4 million. The agency said donor support has been crucial to enable an effective response during the first months and it was grateful for what was received. "However, funding needs have been largely unmet, both for WHO and for its partners."
The update also spells out Zika outbreak components that need global support and response, including the potential for further spread, lack of population immunity in areas where the virus hasn't circulated before, and differences in sanitation and health services.
Jun 17 WHO statement
WHO updated Zika response plan
China reports first H7N9 case in Liaoning province
China has reported another H7N9 avian influenza infection, this time in a man thought to have the first case in Liaoning province, located in the northeastern part of the country, Hong Kong's Centre for Health Protection (CHP) reported today. The report is the fifth H7N9 infection to be reported for June, which is typically a quiet month for cases.
The 67-year-old man from Shenyang is in stable condition. His close contacts and others with similar exposure are under monitoring, with no other cases reported so far, according to the CHP, which didn't say how the man was exposed to the virus.
On Jun 15 the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) listing noted the detection of another case in China, this one from Jiangsu province. Other than that the case was observed Jun 6, no other details were noted.
The new cases lift China's overall H7N9 total to 798, according to a case list kept by FluTrackers, an infectious disease news message board.
Jun 17 CHP statement
Jun 15 FAO report on Jiangsu province case
FluTrackers H7N9 case list