CIDRAP-ASP provides policy analysis of national and international antimicrobial resistance and stewardship issues, legislation, regulations, and guidance. Our objective is to present policy updates as part of an ongoing conversation about the scope, principles, process measures, and governance of antimicrobial stewardship, with the ultimate goal of informing implementation of evidence-based practices across the continuum of human and animal health.
In Brief: Policy News
Policy news briefs provide up-to-date information on antimicrobial stewardship legislation, regulatory proposals and mandates, guidelines, and activities across the human and animal health spectrum.
Jan 22, 2019 - In a report for PATH, Katie Regan, MFA, describes how advances in the use and development of vaccines for malaria, typhoid, pneumococcal disease, influenza, rotavirus, and Japanese encephalitis could play a role in fighting drug resistance.
Jan 15, 2019 - The Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA) reports on the Public Health Agency of Canada's release of the 2016 Canadian Integrated Program for Antimicrobial Resistance Surveillance (CIPARS) Annual Report, which found that while the overall quantity of antimicrobials intended for use in animals had decreased, the number of Salmonella isolates resistant to five or more antimicrobial classes continued to rise.
In Depth: Policy Updates
Quarterly updates synthesize information on recent antimicrobial stewardship initiatives in particular contexts, such as outpatient prescribing, rapid diagnostic development and use, and One Health programs. Updates provide overarching concepts and rationale for relevant mandates and guidance with an eye toward integrating information that empowers policy implementation and advocacy.
- April 2018 - Overview of Recent Policy Initiatives and New Resources for Antimicrobial Stewardship
- January 2018 - Antimicrobial Stewardship and Rapid Diagnostic Testing in Low-Resource Settings
- October 2017 - Rapid Diagnostic Testing in Antimicrobial Stewardship
- July 2017 - Data to Inform Antimicrobial Stewardship
- April 2017 - Global Action on Antimicrobial Resistance
- January 2017 - Antimicrobial Stewardship in Animal Agriculture
- October 2016 - Outpatient Antimicrobial Stewardship
- July 2016 - Antimicrobial Stewardship in Hospitals and Long-Term Care Facilities