H7N9 infections pause in China, but 2014 death toll reaches 72
China reported no H7N9 infections or deaths over the past 3 days, keeping the total number of human cases at 389, according to searches of provincial health announcements and a case compilation kept by FluTrackers, an infectious disease news message board. The unofficial number of deaths remained at 120.
Though the number of infections had largely tailed off in the second wave, which began in October, China has continued to report about 10 cases a week over the past 3 weeks.
In related developments, China's National Health and Family Planning Commission (NHFPC) recently released its latest H7N9 totals, which reveal that 72 deaths from the H7N9 virus have been reported so far this year, compared with 46 for all of 2013, according to a report today from Agence France-Presse (AFP).
The NHFPC also said 226 cases have been recorded so far for 2014, 99 of them in February, compared with 144 cases in all of 2013.
In other developments, the World Health Organization (WHO) provided more details on four more H7N9 cases, one of them fatal, based on reports it received from China on Mar 5 and Mar 6. The patients include four men ages 36 to 59. Investigations so far revealed that only one of them had been exposed to poultry.
Two of the patients are from Guangdong province, one is from Jiangsu province, and one is originally from Shandong province and lives in Jiangsu province. Illness onsets range from Feb 19 to Feb 28. Of the three survivors, two are in critical condition and one is in severe condition.
FluTrackers human H7N9 case listing
Mar 10 AFP story
Mar 10 WHO statement
Cambodia reports 2 new H5N1 cases, 1 fatal
Cambodia has reported two more cases of H5N1 avian flu in children, one of them fatal, according to a story today from Xinhua, China's state news agency.
The fatal case was in an 11-year-old boy from Kampong Chhnang province who was hospitalized at Kantha Bopha Children's Hospital in Phnom Penh in "very serious" condition last week. He died on Mar 7, the hospital's deputy director, Dr. Denis Laurent, said.
AFP, citing a different doctor, reported that the boy had eaten infected poultry.
Also, an 8-year-old boy from Kandal province contracted H5N1 avian flu, both news outlets reported. He is in stable condition and is recovering, Laurent said. Kandal province surrounds Phnom Penh, and Kampong Chhnang borders Kandal to the northwest.
So far this year Cambodia has reported eight H5N1 cases, all in children, and three of them have been fatal. Since 2005 the country has confirmed 55 H5N1 cases, including 36 deaths.
Mar 10 Xinhua story
Mar 10 AFP report