March 7, 2023
Around the world, the multidrug resistant and pan-resistantfungus Candida auris has caused outbreaks in healthcare systems. While it is now highlighted by CDC as an urgent threat, only six years ago there were no reports of resistant C. auris strains that were able to spread easily between patients. These infections are challenging to treat a with 5% — 10% of colonized patients going on to develop invasive infections. This episode will cover how these outbreaks have impacted patients, healthcare systems, and continued efforts to better understand and slow the impact of these infections.
- Tom M Chiller - Chief, Mycotic Diseases Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Andrew Jacobs - Reporter, Health and Science desk, The New York Times
- Bhavarth Shukla - Associate Professor, Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Miami
Materials Mentioned in this Episode
- A Mysterious Infection, Spanning the Globe in a Climate of Secrecy, Matt Richtel and Andrew Jacobs, The New York Times
- 2022 Special Report: COVID-19 U.S. Impact on Antimicrobial Resistance, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Loading player ...
This podcast is co-created by CIDRAP-ASP and the Antimicrobial Resistance Fighter Coalition (ARFC).
- Artist: Derek Sandbeck
- Song Title: Power Plugs & Superbugs