Yesterday Utah officials said the state has 602 measles cases in an outbreak that is ongoing and began last year, with 19 new infections. And though cases have been slightly declining in recent weeks, several preschools and elementary schools are now sites of recent exposures.
Of the 602 cases, 405 have been recorded since the first of the year, and 75 have been recorded in the past 3 weeks. So far 49 people have been hospitalized in this outbreak. The vast majority of patients, 513 (85%), have been unvaccinated against measles.
With roughly 90% of Utahns are vaccinated against measles, officials said there are enough unvaccinated people living in the state to allow the virus to spread easily, as 95% coverage typically provides “herd immunity” to also protect the unvaccinated. The highest number of cases, 256, have been in the Southwest Utah health district, followed by 95 in Utah County and 69 in TriCounty.
South Carolina outbreak could soon be over
In other measles news, South Carolina officials once again reported no new measles cases yesterday. If that pattern holds until April 26, the outbreak, which sickened 997, will be officially over.
The last reported measles case in South Carolina was on March 17. April 26 is 42 days later, or two transmission cycles for the virus.
There currently are no people in quarantine or isolation in the state.