CIDRAP-ASP provides policy analysis of national and international antimicrobial resistance and stewardship issues, legislation, regulations, and guidance. Our objective is to present policy updates as part of an ongoing conversation about the scope, principles, process measures, and governance of antimicrobial stewardship, with the ultimate goal of informing implementation of evidence-based practices across the continuum of human and animal health.
In Brief: Policy News
Policy news briefs provide up-to-date information on antimicrobial stewardship legislation, regulatory proposals and mandates, guidelines, and activities across the human and animal health spectrum.
Jul 9, 2020 - The Public Health Agency of Canada published the 2020 Canadian Antimicrobial Resistance Surveillance System report, finding that the situation has worsened in Canada from 2014 to 2018, with increases in potentially fatal drug-resistant bloodstream infections, a nine-fold increase in patients testing positive for carbapenem-resistant organism colonization, a doubling in drug-resistant gonorrhea rates, increases in hospital antimicrobial use and purchasing, a 120% increase in the community use of carbapenems, and an overall decrease but a recent rise in antimicrobials for animal use.
Jul 9, 2020 - In The Telegraph, David Graham, PhD, and Peter Collignon, MBBS, PhD, discuss the ways in which increasing access to clean water and basic sanitation, along with efforts to curb pollution, may have significant effects on the emergence and spread of antimicrobial resistance, along with the need for international cooperation to develop simple and sustainable solutions.
In Depth: Policy Updates
Quarterly updates synthesize information on recent antimicrobial stewardship initiatives in particular contexts, such as outpatient prescribing, rapid diagnostic development and use, and One Health programs. Updates provide overarching concepts and rationale for relevant mandates and guidance with an eye toward integrating information that empowers policy implementation and advocacy.
- July 2019 - Policy update from Quarter 2, 2019
- April 2019 - Policy Changes, Initiatives, and New Findings from Quarter 1, 2019
- April 2018 - Overview of Recent Policy Initiatives and New Resources for Antimicrobial Stewardship
- January 2018 - Antimicrobial Stewardship and Rapid Diagnostic Testing in Low-Resource Settings
- October 2017 - Rapid Diagnostic Testing in Antimicrobial Stewardship
- July 2017 - Data to Inform Antimicrobial Stewardship
- April 2017 - Global Action on Antimicrobial Resistance
- January 2017 - Antimicrobial Stewardship in Animal Agriculture
- October 2016 - Outpatient Antimicrobial Stewardship
- July 2016 - Antimicrobial Stewardship in Hospitals and Long-Term Care Facilities